Monday, July 24, 2006

Dialing frenzy

Remember those old rotary phones? The misdialed calls and the long wait for the number to complete the ttkk, ttkk sound bring back fond (now) memories. I recall my fingers slipping out of the holes just before my finger reached the correct position so I would have to redial the entire number. Arrgh.

On Wednesday, the phone company is putting an overlay on top of our 310 area code. So there will be a new 424 area code given to new phone numbers. Because of this, I will have to call 11 digits all the time. Even calling another 310 number requires me to dial 1-310-number...like my next door neighbor. Oh, the joy. You try explaining the situation to your 70 year old mother that she needs to reprogram her speed dial at her house and cell phone. Guess who will be doing that task for her tomorrow. Actually, the phone company has been trying to do this overlay for about 5 years now and I guess we finally ran out of numbers. Hector had the foresight to program all the phone numbers in our cell phones to this new format a couple of years ago. My problem will be adjusting to every day dialing to local numbers. I'm sure I will get to hear some recording of a woman telling me to check my dialing on a daily basis. I even told Tyler that he will have to enter 1-310 when he calls grandma from now on. He doesn't understand the concept of area codes but he will now.

No comments:

Post a Comment