Sunday, August 08, 2010

Surf's Up

My continuing journey of knitting...still on a hat knitting spree. I decided to make Josh a hat since he hasn't had a new one in several years. I tend to knit loosely so the hats are made to grow into. Tyler hasn't had a new hat in about 4 years since the hat stretches with his growing head although Tyler has inherited the dead fish hat.

Anyway, I chose Swell as Josh's hat because Josh LOVES the wave pool at Soak City and ocean waves too. Found some nice wool yarn in manly colors and knit away.
Side view.



I added the crochet trim to add a bit more color but as you can see in the pics, the earflaps curl up. I wet blocked the hat and as a result the wool relaxes and the hat is much bigger. It still fits Josh but hangs lower so now I am thinking of adding a fleece liner to add some bulk and warmth. That way he can wear it when he goes to the snow/mountains. Another alternative is to knit another swell hat and go down a needle size. I'm leaning toward the liner since I've done it and think it would be a great learning experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment