Friday, August 27, 2010

Hawaii: day 5 and 6

I hadn't finished recapping our Hawaii vacation so here goes. After super relaxing day at Mauna Lani with Jill and her family, we hit Costco for some cheap pizza. Hector had read that Costco decided to locate on the Kona side because it is the up and coming area. Apparently it is the only one on the island so residents on the other side have to make a 2-3 hour drive to load up on goodies. I shudder to think of that drive both ways. Yuck.

I had bookmarked a beach about 5 miles south of our condo that is perfect for snorkeling. We went on a nice Sunday morning around 9:30am so we found parking in the lot. Small sand beach with picnic area further on the trees. Shallow pools surrounded by rocks which made it nice for small children although the rocks can be hard for people to navigate.

Testing the snorkel equipment in the pool.

Hector took the boys out snorkeling for a short bit before Joshua got cold. I couldn't figure that out since the water is much warmer than Cali but still on the cool side. Hector said the water here is much clearer and there are lots of fish even in the waist high water. I ventured out there to wade and swim for a bit and I did not see ONE fish. Strange, huh?


That was our adventure for the day with the usual pool time. Hector booked a snorkel trip on a Zodiac for Tyler and him the next morning. Josh and I stayed at the condo and swam that day. This is what Hector told me...they travelled to the Cook's monument and snorkelled in 2 places. The Zodiac bounced them around to their first stop and Hector got sick which he expected. I'll spare you the details but he did manage an underwater pic while he 'fed' the fish. Tyler had lots of fun and even got a camera to take photos with. The captain thought Tyler might not know about film cameras but he didn't know we've entered that realm months ago.
Tyler really had a great time with his dad so that was a nice event to end the trip.

The boys have a nice tan where they've inherited their dad's genes. I have a tan but it was harder for me. I put the same sunscreen on as the kids and they got much darker. Go figure.
Our last night in Hawaii. Sunset from our balcony.

Now that our vacation is over, all we have is our memories, photos and the cold we all caught from Tyler. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment