Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Labor day weekend

I know I've been absent for a few days but seriously, when my husband mentions it this morning on the phone that I haven't blogged lately it tells me that I have a few dedicated readers. Ha! Plus Hector said how else will he know what it s going on in my life? Double ha!

Okay, well first of all, it's HOT! For the past 4 days, we've been in sweltering heat with all the fans/ceiling fans working 24 hours a day and still no relief. This brings me to this tidbit...we've had a portable AC unit for the past 2 years and it has been sitting in my closet. Last year never really got that hot but Hector put off setting it up because our window is too large for the vent. Hector would have to make something to have it fit the window or make a hole in the wall (which I was against). So after 3 days of living in an oven, I question why do we have this AC unit if we don't use it? It's a reasonable question, right? So Hector went into MacGyver mode and made a window fitting and plugged the AC in. It took a while to really cool down our bedroom but after 8 hours it's very nice is here. This heat wave should be over hopefully by this weekend but for now our bedroom is a cool haven. I woke up in a cool room and went I stepped out into the hall, I was hit with a wall of very warm air at 9:30 am. So this sucker is staying on all week!

On Saturday, September 1st my first baby turned 8 years old!! Man, that was fast! We rented a bounce house/slide for the kids and had a BBQ. It was a nice party...not too many people and I planned it just right for the food and cake. Some leftovers but nothing we can't handle. I hate it when we have so much leftover that we're eating the same food for days! Tyler had a great time playing with his friends and getting his presents. He got a nice balance of clothes and toys/games; he'll be set for this year.

September 2nd was my mom's birthday and it was too hot for her to go out but we ended up having dessert at her house later that night. Our neighbor threw a party (just for the heck of it) and they had a huge water slide so the kids took advantage of that to stay cool. They even had a slushie machine with 2 tanks, one alcoholic side and one virgin side. It was so good! Hector brave the water slide and use a inflatable body board to slide down and promptly flew over the edge...well more like slid off the edge. I guess the slide is not really equipped to stop a grown man at the bottom!! No one was hurt but all the guys cheered on Hector and his "jackass" type stunt. There you go..my husband and his minor mayhem!

The day went on from there....my cousins came over and we all went to Brazillian BBQ where the waiters carry big skewers of meat and dump it on your plate while a big buffet also is there to offer more food. Our party of 12 was lots of fun and meat!! Later we went to wish my mom her happy birthday.

Monday was spent cooling my bedroom off and napping. It was nice. Also my friend Kat called to tell me all about her cruise to the British Isles etc.... it sounded wonderful. I need to get on their cruise circuit next time. Kat's roomie/friend chose to retire to bed practically every night after dinner! Huh? To each their own, but I'd definitely do that differently. I'll post pictures later...I'm working on knitting a sweater in a pretty purple and I'll have to see if it will be for me or a friend. I haven't gotten in the habit of swatching to make sure the pattern will be the correct size for whom it is for so it'll be a surprise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment