Tuesday, July 03, 2007

iPod update

Ok, my music transferred okay but I had all my old music in a folder which was about 10 gigs of stuff and since it didn't appear to be needed, I deleted it. Yep....BIG MISTAKE! Now my music won't play in itunes although my iPod stuff is still intact. I think I need to delete my itunes library and reload everything. I'm gonna have to do some serious research and see what damage control I can do.

Earlier this evening I tried to fix my problems and ended up creating more headaches for myself. I can't even remember what I did...I just know that I deleted the bad copies of music from my itunes library (over 3000 songs). I agonized over the idea for a while then went ahead because itunes couldn't play the songs anyway. I downloaded the Music Rescue program and that was fine. I hooked up my 80 gig iPod which started asking me question about transferring music. It gave me the choice to transfer or don't transfer....last time I transferred the results brought me to where I am now (really deleting my original itunes files did me in) so I chose Don't transfer and lame itunes proceeded to sync my iPod and basically deleted my music in the iPod. I thought I was going to cry! After worrying about all my music disappearing, I remembered that I have another 20 gig iPod that I use upstairs that has practically all the latest music. This time I set it to enable disk use and manually manage the songs and went through the whole process again. This time it worked although copying 3400 songs takes up a lot of time then it puts the music into itunes. Now for the final test....I set up my playlists which took another hour or so and hooked up the 80 gig iPod. Now the dang thing has to sync then load all the songs back on.

It's 10:20pm...I went and downloaded a program that will transfer your iPod music to your computer. Under normal circumstances I think the process would have been quick and painless but because we're talking about my seriously messed up itunes, the process has taken about 5 hours. That's because of one false start where I waited for all my music to load and then it didn't work. After tweaking it a bit, the program worked about copying my music and right now it is transferring my music to my 80 gig iPod.

10:40pm...still loading but it's on 2800 of 3300 so just a little bit more. I got some duplicates during the copying process but I'll take care of it another day. Let this be lesson for all...learn from my horrible mistakes and just use Music Rescue.

10:45pm It's done! I believe that my nightmare is over (at least for tonight).

No comments:

Post a Comment