Sunday, October 01, 2006

Wedding Day

My cousin David was married yesterday and it was a nice wedding. The bride's parents do not speak English so the ceremony took twice as long because the pastor had to say everything in Chinese and English. My mom was getting irritated at the pastor because he talked too much. It did seem like he talked about love etc. instead of focusing on the couple. My other cousin Matt and I wanted to sit further in the back but we had to sit up in the family section. Also Matt was asked to videotape the ceremony with someone's camera (family member) which I thought was overkill since there was a professional videographer. Oh well...the pastor cracked me up because he had a heavy accent/funny wording ie. breast the bride (for bless the bride) and let us enjoy their joy. The coule seemed very formal with each other; the bride had her eyes down & head bowed for most of the ceremony (that was my impression). I was looking forward to hearing their vows which they wrote but said only in Chinese so I had no clue to what was spoken. Very annoying. I asked my mom later to translate but she didn't hear what they said. More annoying.

So on to the reception at Ming's for the wedding banquet. Lots of Chinese food and loud talking. Very straightforward. Slide show of the couple, from baby hood to present etc. When we began clinking the glasses for the couple to kiss, they gave very chaste kisses where we (the cousins' table) had scorecards. Tim, the older brother of the groom is much more outgoing and he arranged all this. He gave lively commentary and banter which is so different than David. At Tim's wedding, we had a DJ, dancing and even a Chinese Elvis impersonator. For David's wedding, there for food,, slideshow and cake. The couple seem very happy but overall, the wedding & reception was just eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment