Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fruity




When we were at Phuket, I was able to try several exotic fruit that I have never seen before. The fruit pictured above is called shampoo (not sure of the spelling) that tasted like a cross of apple and pear. You slice it and chill it in the refrigerator for a bit then enjoy!




Another cool fruit is the dragon fruit or strawberry pear. It has a rind with a fleshy fruit inside. The first one I tasted was bland and pulpy so I was disappointed. I had another chance to try it later in the week and was surprised to find it delicious. Maybe the earlier fruit was unripe but this one was sweet, slightly juicy kind of like a kiwi. I found out that this fruit is mostly found in Central and South America although southeast Asia is growing it. There are several varieties with either white, red or yellow fruit inside. Maybe I'll look for it at the Asian market.


I finally found out the name of the last exotic fruit I had and it's called a rambutan. The rambutan is a small fruit with spines (soft) that are cut along the rind to reveal a fruit that looks like a peeled grape. There is a seed (almond size) in the middle of the fruit but you eat around it. The fruit is sweet and firm. I definitely have to look for this fruit too. Apparently it is very common in southeast Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment