Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Shaolin Soccer

Thank goodness my mom came by the past 2 days to help me with cleaning which freed me up to go grocery and party supply shopping. I decided to skip the goodie bags this time since I personally think they're a waste of time and money. I'd rather give each kid a $5 bill and send them on their way.
I also thinned out the toy room and set aside all the big toddler Legos and Duplos to give away to children who will play with them. Tyler was a little upset but he is beginning to understand charity and being unselfish. Honestly if I hadn't told him I was getting rid of those toys, he wouldn't notice.
Today was Tyler's first soccer practice and it went very well. The coaches are trying to get the idea of passing so they used their hands to pass the ball around on the field for a bit. It seemed to make an impression of the boys so we'll see how they do.
Practice went over by 20 minutes so we rushed home and I made dinner; rib eye, rice pilaf and veggies...yum! Now I'm relaxing with my Mudslide drink and mulling over my next knitting project. I'm thinking of attempting a hoodie sweater for a friend so I need to study the pattern and make sure I'm up to the challenge.

Btw, Hector and I watched Shaolin Soccer over the weekend and it was good. A funny blend of kung fu and soccer but I was knitting at the time and it's hard to read subtitles at the same time. I recommend the movie if you like that kind of stuff. Stephen Chow is in it and he also was in Kung Fu Hustle which is not your typical martial arts movie. I should let Tyler watch the socceer game parts because he'll get a big kick out of it.

Oh which reminds me of our baseball practice the other day. We gather our big bag of whiffle balls and bat and head to the park. Hector pitches to Tyler who works on his swing...while gathering balls Hector went to pick up what he thought was a ball and it was a mushroom. So while he began pitching again, he snuck the mushroom into the rotation and when Tyler hit it, the mushroom exploded and we all started busting up! Tyler was so surprised but it was so hilarious and silly; he had a giggle fit after that! So the next day when we were going to the team practice, Tyler said he wanted to show his friends how the mushroom explodes. So we stopped at the park and gathered up a whole bagful. At the end of practice, all the kids were so excited to hit mushrooms, even the kids who had problems hitting a ball were able to smack the mushrooms. It turned out to be a great learning tool! Who would have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment