Saturday, August 25, 2007

Cover Songs

Today I had the chance to listen to my iPod while knitting and I was thinking about my favorite cover songs when Stand and Deliver came on which was originally done by Adam Ant. Well, the song came on and it sounded slightly different but very similar to the original so I was surprised to see that Sugar Ray did the version I was currently listening too. Sometimes a band will completely revamp the song so it sounds new and fresh while other bands will cover the song so it basically a copy of the original song or sometimes the covered song will turn out awful.

I liked the version that Sugar Ray did of Stand and Deliver (which was almost identical to the original) so I thought about more cover songs I enjoy so here is a few examples that come to mind.

  1. Come On Eileen (originally by Dexy's Midnight Runners) by Save Ferris. The original song was okay when it first came out but I soon came to hate it whenever it came on but when Save Ferris redid the song, I fell in love with their version which is peppy and ska-infused.
  2. It's My Life (originally by Talk Talk) by No Doubt. I like both versions but the newer one has Gwen Stefani and she brought her unique style to this song.
  3. Boys Don't Cry (originally by The Cure) by Reel Big Fish. A ska version of a classic which took a while to fully appreciate but both versions are great.

Also a Morrissey song came on Sister, I'm a Poet that has a great line that I never heard before.

And I wonder

Does anybody feel the way I do ?

And is evil just something you are

Or something you do ?

I use this line to apply to someone that irritates me which makes me smile. Okay, sometimes I'm mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment