Monday, January 29, 2007

Only Child

I am an only child. I remember growing up wishing I had a sister or brother to play with but divorce stepped into my life so that ended my chances (my mom never remarried). Sure I had friends and all of them had siblings so I'd see the teasing and fighting. But most of the time, I was happy with my only child status.

Hector has a lot of siblings and one comes to mind that doesn't talk or have contact with the family. Another friend has issues with her sister who recently contacted her so they are trying to reconnect. Just this weekend, a good friend's estranged sister messed up and is being called an unfit mother so my friend has taken in her niece and nephew who she hasn't had any contact for 4 years. Those are the examples of family squabbles that really affect us. I'm sure there are many good examples too of close, loving brothers and sisters. I guess I wish that people would forget their pride, arrogance or anger to just reconnect with those family members because life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment