Friday, July 15, 2011

CARMAGEDDON *cue dramatic music*

It's finally here!! After a month of announcements, etc. the 10 mile stretch of the 405 fwy will be closed for 53 hours. We live about 4-5 miles from the 405 fwy about 18 miles away from the closed portion and the local news stations have pounced on this opportunity to blitz us with nonstop reports.

Normally, I would just hunker down and stay in our more-than-adequate city of Torrance but we decided to celebrate Carmageddon with a boys sleepover on Saturday night. We will have 3 more boys added to our 2 boys for a night of raucous fun. Thank goodness for Hector who helps me out during the rowdy, loud portions. He's a kid in disguise. I might be barricading myself upstairs later.

What is kind of funny is that the news recommends people to not fly (if possible) and stay local. Two of my cousins are coming in to LAX on Saturday because of their work schedules so I will be interested to hear their stories from the travellers viewpoint.

Hannah was supposed to arrive at LAX at 12:30pm and hang around until Myles arrives from Hong Kong at 3pm. On any other day, I would totally pick up H and grab lunch then head back for Myles. Ha, this Carmageddon has made me rethink it. Reports are saying to add an extra hour to travel and people flying out of LAX should tack on 2-3 more hours!! Crazy!!

Come Monday, hopefully people will stay put for the most part and enjoy the nice weekend at home and Carmageddon will be a distant memory, although I should make a T-shirt that says, "I SURVIVED CARMAGEDDON!" I'm slow, I'm sure that someone has made 1000's of shirts already and selling them at LAX. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment