Friday, February 04, 2011

Possum

Rodent or luxury? It's both actually. The possums in the US are ugly, nasty things. In New Zealand they are better looking but still pests. Click here to see the critters. They were introduced in the 1800's for the fur industry and of course they have no predators and many plants/animals have been destroyed by these possums. So New Zealand tries to get some use out of them and possum yarn in one of them.

My friend Kat's parents, Buddy and Carol went on a month -long cruise Down Under to LA and I asked them to see if they could find some possum yarn for me. They sure did and asked me to knit a pair of warm possum socks for Buddy. I haven't knit any men-sized socks in a very long time so it was a bit of a shock to knit size 11. :) As I knit them, I'd stick my hand or toes in them and even then I could tell these socks retain heat like crazy due to the hollow core inside the hair. Plus, the fiber is super soft, who knew that these NZ possums are so soft?

003

Now I just have to deliver them to Buddy and take his picture wearing these bad boys.  Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment