Friday, June 20, 2008

back in the old days

Our kids are spoiled with microwave popcorn...a little over 2 minutes and a nice fresh hot bag of popcorn appears. When we were in Target the other day, Hector spotted some Jiffy Pop in the $1 section so he grabbed a couple. He and Tyler decided to make it the other night and do popcorn like Mom and Dad had to in the old days.







Tyler really enjoyed the popcorn, claiming it was the best ever! Yep he is a true connoisseur.


Today is Saturday and yes, Hector hooked up the portable AC unit in our bedroom. It is already much cooler. He is taking the kids to the Beverly Center to catch another viewing of Speed Racer before it disappears from the movie theatres. Meanwhile I will straighten the house as much as I can in this awful heat (yes, I start to wilt at 80 degrees) and make a shopping list of stuff we need to get later. We will have carne asada, chips, salsa, guacamole, 7 layer dip, maybe a Chinese chicken salad and spinach strawberry salad too plus a dessert. Nothing that requires me to use the stove or oven hopefully.


I gave the window and door in the kids bathroom another coat last night and this morning. It should be presentable for our guests that will come over tomorrow for the bbq. I heard that it will be cooler on Sunday and I definitely hope so. Like I said before, I'm spoiled with mild weather. I already know that I will be extremely warm when we take our cruise to Mexico in August where the temps will be in the 90's. My friend Kat and her family are taking a cruise next week to Alaska where it will be a pleasant time in the 40's and 50's. Oh well.


I can't believe how much "stuff" the kids bring home. It quickly piles up to huge amounts of homework, tests, art and reminders. I try to save a couple of things but most of it goes into the recycle bin. Even the wall where we hang the kids' projects is full so I need to weed some of those out. We still have some of Tyler's work from preschool so I have to get more of Josh's stuff up there. Seriously it never ends.


It's official...Tyler brought his report card home and he moves on to the 3rd grade. Yikes. It just means more stuff that I have to help with. This past year Tyler had about 8 oral presentations and had tests on subjects like supply and demand, the human body, bats, owls, and manufacturing. It is a good thing he retains a lot from class but we're trying to get him in the habit of studying and preparation. Ugh...then it starts all over with Joshua. If you thought you were done with homework...bad news, you get to relive it all over again with your children. :)


Okay, the video is almost finished loading and I'm off to deal with housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment