Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mohawk Hat

I'll start at the beginning of this really challenging (for me) project. I found this cool book called Domiknitrix and the mohawk hat caught my eye. I know the right guy for this hat and I was determined to have this done before the guys' snow trip.









Here is the actual hat. I was surprised that the hat only took me 2 days to knit once I deciphered the gusset directions. It was a bit tricky and I had some obvious holes but I was able to weave in more yarn to close those up nicely. Now it was on to adding the fringe/hair to the hat and I found some really bright neon green yarn that would look awesome with the black but that yarn was too flimsy and didn't lay straight so I used some leftover yarn (a greenish blend & pinkish purple blend) that gave the desired effect. I think the fringe took longer to complete than the hat! After adding and subtracting yarn for 4 days, my mohawk hat resembles a small pony. Still it looks pretty darn cool.













Here is the end result with my handsome model Tyler. I did decide to add some I-cords as straps so the user can wear this hat safely on the ski slopes or in his hot rod.






No comments:

Post a Comment