Monday, June 27, 2011

Genetics

It's amazing what features and attributes I can see in my children. As babies, people would say they totally look like me (they did) with chubby cheeks and Asian features. I have brown eyes, black hair but I have some non-Asian features like the double eyelids etc (from the small percent of my Anglo heritage). Hector has hazel eyes and this is what my rambling is getting to. He has pretty eyes...we have confirmation from several sources. So when Tyler was born, we totally expected him to have brown eyes. It's basic genetics, right? Brown eyes= dominant gene. Well, I guess my recessive gene came into play with Hector's recessive hazel eye genes.

Sure enough, as Tyler got older his eyes got lighter. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me; sometimes it was more noticeable than others. Finally I had to ask Hector to confirm the eye color because I really wasn't sure. :) So the pretty man eyes continues....Tyler even got compliments from a 7 year old girl in his swim class at the YMCA. Yes, she thought his eyes were pretty!!

So Joshua is born...he'll probably get the dominant brown eyes. Nope. His eyes began to get lighter and they're even a lighter shade of hazel/green than Tyler's! He really does have gorgeous eyes (if I do say so myself).

So now I am outnumbered by the hazel eyed men in my life but I can happily gaze into their pretty eyes. I'm gonna have to get some close up photos of their eyes.

Cold
Not Josh's best expression but you can see his eye color.
Tried to take pics of each of the kids eyes which not the easiest thing to do!! It depends on the lighting and I took advantage of them while playing the Wii to take pics.

Hazel
Tyler

Hazel
Josh

To me, it seems that Josh has more green in his eyes than Tyler but it just depends, I guess. :) You can totally see me in the reflection of Josh's eye. ;P

I guess more than genetics come into play which is more complicated...
Try this link:

baby eye color predictor

No comments:

Post a Comment