Sunday, March 29, 2009

Toe-Up

I finished another quick project...this time I learned to knit socks from the toe up. All my other socks were knit from the cuff down. I suppose it doesn't really matter but there are instances when knitting toe up socks are preferred.
First, when you're not sure if you'll have enough yarn for a pair of socks. Knitting top down, I knit about 6 inches of leg and then "x" inches for the foot (depending on the size). It would really blow if you didn't have enough yarn to do the toes (unless you want toeless socks, maybe for a pedicure?). So that's when knitting toe up comes in handy where you finish the foot first then when you're almost out of yarn, you can just make a shorter leg and bind off.
Second, some sock patterns are specifically designed to be knit toe up. The pattern of stitches just look better that way. I have a book with a lot of stitch patterns I want to knit but they are toe up which I had to skip (for now).
Well, I finally figured out the cast on for toe up socks and knit up some baby-sized socks to get the general idea since the heel is a bit different too.Luckily I know a baby who can wear them now...baby D.



See? Baby D likes them and they fit perfectly!!





Here is the really cool gadget that has been filming my little home videos. See? It is smaller than my Blackberry! I carry it around in my purse so if the need arises, I can whip it out and film it.

No comments:

Post a Comment