Monday, January 31, 2011

3 Day Recap

The kids had a 3 day weekend due to a teacher in-service so we took advantage and headed to Mammoth for some snow time. I really wanted to maximize our time there and the last time we attempted that, we left at 4am to arrive around 9:30am which is really cool but none of the kids or I slept along the way so we were useless by the afternoon.

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)
East Sierras on the drive up to Mammoth.

This time we left Thursday night around 9pm and got a room in Ridgecrest by 11:30pm, woke up at 6:30am, ate breakfast and headed on out on the road again. We arrived in Mammoth at 10am and that way we were ready to last the whole day. We rented the kids ski equipment and Hector found some really cool ski pants. Cool as in ultra durable Cordura material that should last about 10 years +, unlike most pants nowadays.

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)
Sunday morning snow play.

My cousin Hannah and her group of friends came up to Mammoth the same time so I got to meet her friends and hang out with her for a bit. The weather on Friday was gorgeous, a very warm 45* and sunshine. We had a great time getting our ski/snowboard legs back.

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)

On Saturday, I spent the day with Hannah on the Eagle lodge side and I might have been too ambitious for her on her first day back on the mountain in 2 years but she still did fine. Beginners fall A LOT and she was no exception but she was a trooper and made it down. Anyway, she will try to go again with us and take another lesson. :)

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)

Meanwhile, I have been battling a cold that settled into my throat/chest giving a nasty cough with grossness that I won't go into which now has resulted in me losing my voice. Boo.

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)

Sunday we had planned on skiing again but I woke before 7am and saw light snow falling. That would change to strong winds along with the snow to light flurries so we cancelled the skiing for that day. We packed up and the kids played in the snow with their snowball maker. Hector didn't think we would need chains when driving out of town but we saw the CHAINS REQUIRED sign and lots of cars pulled over to put them on so we did too. At least we have the easiest chains to put on, and while we stayed inside I took pics of the mountains. Next thing I hear a car coming down the hill too fast (no chains) began slipping and BAM, hit the car pulled over a ways in front of us then go across the 2 lanes over into a small ditch. I was happy he missed us but about 100 yards down the rest of the hill, more cars pulled over to take their chains OFF. Uff, so we had the chains on for less than 5 minutes of driving. I took advantage to take more pics and the kids played in the snow.

Mammoth (Jan. 2011)
Candid shot of Tyler.

After that, it was smooth sailing home. :) Check out the full Flickr set here.

No comments:

Post a Comment