Thursday, October 30, 2008
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Yesterday was Adventures in Art for Tyler's class and I agreed to help. We learned about Emil Nolde and his use of watercolors in Expressionism. The class was to do their own version of Red Poppies which was easy and fun to do. It looked like so much fun that I want to try it.
So today, Sherri and I along with Amber went to Joann's to get an idea of the cost. I found all the supplies which I can purchase separately when I saw a Chinese Brush kit which basically uses the same things but in a handy kit for only $19.99. Sherri and I oohed and awed over it but we were good and didn't buy it. I can come back later and use my 40% off coupon. :)
Tomorrow Josh's class will get to paint Red Poppies so I get to help twice. It will be nice to see how the two will turn out. Each child has their own individual style.
Click here for more Emil Nolde.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Monday, October 27, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008
See, here it is before I felt it. Yes, I know my phone is upside down but I wanted to show scale. It looks like the whole photo is upside down. Doh! well, you get the idea.
But after it's felted up, it's perfect!
I found the pattern on ravelry.com which is so wonderful and helpful. There are so many talented people that come up with patterns for whatever you want to knit. I just knit because I'm kinda lame in the designing category. It's amazing what the internet can do...
Friday, October 24, 2008
Here is Josh doing his circus act. This footage is from the first night we attended. We later went again the next week so I'll post those videos another time.
Not much planned for the weekend. We went to Koji (Korean bbq) for dinner tonight and I am stuffed. Tyler did well by eating 4 green beans. Yay. We celebrated Hector getting paid. I'll cook for the rest of the week. Curry sounds good.
The LA Kings played St Louis tonight and they blew them out 4-0. Yay again.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Here Josh is showing the scale of the purse. Don't worry, he won't be scarred or traumatized byt this. He has already forgotten.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
My iPod was on random on our drive home from Cucamonga and this came on. While I have a fondness for this version, I really love the original version by Tears For Fears. So here are both which feature dancing. One has stuffies and break dancing while the original is brooding and angst-ridden.
Click for the original Mad World.
It turns out that there are a few versions including this one....all so different yet beautiful.
Friday, October 17, 2008
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
I swear we see this guy a lot who looks like he has season tickets to the Kings. We call him "Carlos". Well, you decide.
Uncanny. We need to bring Carlos to meet "Carlos". Would that blow their minds? The world might just come to an end.
In other people news, who wears this kinda outfit to a hockey game? Apparently this woman wanted to make a statement in her mini dress. She's showing a lot of skin, doncha think? She lasted to the third period before putting on a jacket. And no one was with her. Hmmm.
Besides that the Kings-Ducks game was awesome mostly because the Kings won 6-3. Lots of fights and action so it was all very entertaining.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
- I finished a pair of scrunchie handwarmers for my cousin Hannah. I can't show them yet because she wants to wait and see them in person. :) I will say that I used the same yarn as mine (Noro Kureyon sock) but a different colorway. Reds, blues, greens etc....they look faboo.
- A fun, fun time at Circus Vargas Friday night; the kids and I especially loved it. I never had been to such a fun circus. I've been to Barnum and Bailey when I was about 8 or so but its usually held in a big arena with 3 rings of activities and we sat farther back since we couldn't afford the good seats. Circus Vargas has only one ring and we sat about 15 ft from the ring. Its a very good show for the price ($15/kid & $25/adult) and it lasted about 2 hours with a 15 minute intermission. Tyler even exclaimed that this was the MOST INCREDIBLE SHOW he's even seen!! Pretty big words from a 9 year old boy. I'm thinking of taking the kids again with my mom since she's always wanted to take the kids to the circus.
- Hector helped out at our elementary school for their School Beautification Day. Parents and kids can come and do minor repairs, paint, weed and general maintenance to better the school. Hector helped replace lots of hooks for the kids to hang their backpacks. We try to help as much as we can and its fun to be involved.
- Another soccer game for Josh and his team won 6-1. Josh didn't score a goal but he plays and runs hard so good effort from him and the rest of the team.
- Tonight is the LA Kings season opener so hopefully the team can make it work. Tonight we are also trying out a new babysitter. It gets harder and harder for my mom so we hope this babysitter can pick up the slack when my mom doesn't feel so well.
- On Saturday night I went with Kat and Heather to the Long Beach artwalk. It was a cold and windy night so that might have made a difference in the crowd plus it was very small. People were selling their artwork and crafts but I didn't see anything that leapt out at me. Lots of artists used skulls as a theme which was interesting. We didn't stay too long and as we reached the car, loud music came from a nearby parking lot. Kat says wow, they're really cool so we drive over one block and sure enough the band is playing in the parking lot in front of a bookstore that was closing. We got our and managed to catch the last 1 1/2 song before they finished. They are called Arrow Down and you can check them out on myspace.
So that's it for now...
Friday, October 10, 2008
Thursday, October 09, 2008
I felted some knit items and I'll be posting pics later. The bags came out cute and so did the little bowl. Yes, I made a bowl out of yarn! I am knitting another purse in the meantime. I try to knit several items so I can throw them all together in the washing machine. I already completed a Blackberry cozy with neck strap that hopefully will work out for She-ra. I used an iPod cozy pattern with a flap then added a knitted cord.
Hector delivered some firewood so my fireburning sessions will start as soon as the weather gets cooler. He got some really nice eucalyptus wood and my woodshed & bin are filled to the brim. :)
Today I helped on in Josh's K class and somehow I always ended up dousing myself with various craft items. One time it was glitter, then paint and today was ink. It's kinda fun.
Oh and get this...Hector went to Marshall's for some work related clothing and came back with an awesome find. A pair of black Caribou Sorels size 11 for....are you ready? $22. Yeah, that's right only $22. I couldn't believe it. They normally run about $120. He has the most awesome luck sometimes. I better make sure that he has both a right and left boot. :)
Monday, October 06, 2008
On the some other news, I've been bitten by the travel bug. I saw Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe show on the Travel Channel about Zurich, Switzerland. Uh-oh, it looked so lovely and adorable that it immediately goes on my list of places to go. My friend Kat and I are working a trip to Canada so I don't want to reveal too much since nothing is finalized. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out.
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Friday, October 03, 2008
I did a little research and found this brand recommended. Powell is a well known company in the skateboarding world and they created the Golden Dragon for beginners. Plus how cool are dragons? Totally. I read some favorable reviews and Tyler picked out the graphics. So I broke down because I'm a softie (sometimes). I'll call it a belated birthday present. So sorry to Hector for straying but it's back to the straight and narrow for me. :)