Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Unwelcome Guest

This morning when I woke up and went through my normal routine. Josh came in and we went into his room where his dresser is and I smelled a skunky odor. As we went through our daily rituals, I kept smelling that skunk odor. Today is trash day and I went outside to bring the trash out to the curb and I didn't smell anything that suggested that a skunk was by our house last night. We have a marsh area about 3 blocks from our house so we occasionally see skunks, opossums and raccoons roaming around.
Well I took the Tyler to school and came back to our stinky house. There is an opening to the crawl space under the house and recently it was detached so I propped the hose reel unit against it not thinking anything of it that maybe something was in there. A couple of days ago I was in the backyard chopping wood (sounds funny, huh?) for my fireplace and the grate was dislodged a bit again. I thought with the recent storms the wind might have blown the hose thingy a bit. But then I called Hector if he noticed the smell this morning and he said yes. Plus he heard some scratching noise while in the computer room that sounded like it was in the walls. Great, we most likely have a skunk trapped under the house! I used a flashlight at the opening to peek in and see if I could see the critter. Of course, I couldn't since I didn't actually go in there because I don't want to be sprayed and it's dark and dirty down there. Maybe I can lure it out with some food and then Hector can fasten the grate on securely so we won't have this happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment