Thursday, February 21, 2013

California Steampunk

Joshua has a school program called Walkthrough California that is an interactive journey where the kids have parts to read and can dress up. So the setting is early California probably around the missions etc. So I'm trying to come up with a costume for Josh and of course, cowboy comes to mind.

I wanted to be able to use the same costume for our upcoming WonderCon too so I needed versatility too that could be steampunk. That way I can make Josh a steampunk cownboy. :)

Link to DIY reversible childs vest.

My sewing skills are beginner level but I feel pretty confident after the Link costume I made for Halloween so I found a DIY vest tutorial which uses old trousers but I found some remnants at Joanns that worked great. I spent about $7 on fabric, white shirt from Goodwill .99 cents, pants from Goodwill $3, and hat from Party City $8. Grand total = $21. Pretty sweet.

Josh can pass as a rancher/cowboy or as he says vaquero. ;) I added some looped twine we have as a lasso and just fastened it under a pocket flap/snap. Worked great since those pants had no belt loops.

So here are the photos that I quickly shot on the way to school.


Materials for vest
The 2 materials for vest. Josh preferred the stripes.

Serious
"I'm looking for the man who shot my Pa".

loitering cowboy
My favorite shot.
handsome cowboy
Didn't have time to add buttons or pocket flaps but the vest looks sweet.

Now I need to work on some steam punk goggles and a holster/ray gun and Josh will be set for the various cons later this year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment