Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Halloween: DIY Link

I've getting a little crazed in the craftyness and decided to make both boys Halloween costumes. Okay, I was really inspired by the awesome costumes (cosplay) we saw at the Anime Expo, and ComicCon. I did some major internet surfing and found some neat sites to help me on my way.

First of all, I relied on this DIY tutorial. My first attempt for the tunic was eh okay. I originally chose a green cotton blend but the material was too thin that frayed at the edges and gave me fits. I went back to the fabric store and found a light suede-like green material that turned out much better. I used a very large oversized Tshirt for my youngest son so the tunic will gather up nicely when belted. The v-neck is a tad large but I'm not going to worry about it. 

I cut out the pieces and loosely sewed the pieces together and then went over it for real with the sewing machine once I had it how I wanted. I edged the armholes, hem and collar edge by hand just because I didn't want to mess it up with the sewing machine since I'm a beginner. I didn't bother with actual sleeves because of my newbie sewing skills and just made the shoulders wider to hang as pseudo sleeves.

I followed the cap instructions as is also edging the cap opening by hand.

Here are the results so far. It's decent and Josh exclaimed that he didn't know how skilled I was with the sewing machine which was super sweet. If he thinks its great, that makes me super happy.

Preview: DIY Link costume
Josh
Okay, we still need the belt, boots & gauntlets. For the photo, I could only find one Ugg boot so excuse that lameness.

DIY Link costume ready for action
My Link needs a shield!!

DIY Link costume: lunging
Moves great for combat.

Stay tuned for more updates and Tyler's costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment