Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Latest hobby

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my mom taught me how to knit and crochet. I really enjoyed it but all I could make were flat squares. I don't think my mom knew how to follow patterns so I never learned. I did make lots of nice blankets for my dolls and later a scarf in college.
So I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday to check out some books on Italy. We are thinking of an Italy trip in October so I found a couple of books to keep me occupied. While I was there, I browsed the crafts section and found some knitting books. There is one called Knit Hats! that has 15 different hats that are so cute. Since I bought the books, I had to go to Joann's to get yarn and knitting supplies. I chose an elf hat pattern that uses 4 colors of yarn. Tyler's hat is my first attempt at real knitting so he is excited about it. The hat will be red, blue, cream and gray.
It took me a while to figure out how to knit an I-cord then switch to different colors and knit in a circle. Once I got the hang of it, the hat started coming along. So far the hat is taking shape into a cone that will fit a doll and has 4 stripes. I need to knit about more stripes and hopefully it'll be done in a few days. Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment