Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Pretties


Yesterday was Hat Day at school. Josh went the summer look while Tyler went for the cold weather look. Tyler said he got lots of compliments from students and teachers. He was proud to say that his mom knit it!

I think my sock knitting mojo has returned. Not knitting any faster but I found the right pace and challenges to keep me going.

Since I have all these leftover balls of sock yarn, I'm trying to come up with ways to use them up. My latest attempt is the Fair Isle socks. Not too difficult in the actual kntting but I have to read charts and remember when to use the correct color yarn. So far I am loving these socks especially how the colors pop against the brown, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough of the yellow mix yarn for the entire sock. I hope so; either I will have to make short socks just past the ankle or continue on with another color yarn once I run out. I am knitting toe-up this time too which holds new challenges for me.
Inside out. Enough tension so no really loose floats to catch a toe.
Right side of sole. Neat little flecks and no puckers.

Anyway, I learned from past mistakes with puckered knits to carry the yarn loosely along the inside of the sock but sometimes it is too loose and holes appear. I read a handy tip to flip the sock inside out and that gives just the right amount of tension. It took my a while to get used to this method but wow, what a difference. My socks look perfect, if I do say so myself. :)
The inside of the instep (top of foot).
The outside of the instep. It will be a pity to run out of that pretty yellow combo yarn.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment