Thursday, August 07, 2008

sock it to me

I'm still here...the family room ceiling is almost done but I need Hector to move some furniture this weekend so that is on hold. Meanwhile I've decided to start knitting socks after a bried break. I'm almost complete on the baby sweater and knit a little pair of baby socks to get the knitting juices flowing. I know I'm behind in the picture department but they will come soon.

It takes me a long time to come up with the right combination of sock yarn and pattern. I start lots of times casting on the stitches, knitting then I don't like the look so I rip it all out and begin all over again. The latest yarn is giving me grief because I couldn't find the right pattern for it so I laid it aside and picked up a different yarn. There is a pattern called Be Mine in 2-at-a-time sock book that has heart cables up the front and back which looks so adorable (for me). Yes, it looks very challenging because there is a big chart with all sorts of symbols on it to tell what kind of stitch needs to be done. That alone stopped me in my tracks but lately I'm gaining some confidence in the chart department so I cast on. So far so good, the ribbing is coming out nicely and the yarn feels nice.

Last night I was ready for the leg part which means THE CHART. At least I was smart and looked up the pattern on Ravelry (a terrific knit and crochet community) so see other people do the pattern then post pictures. I saw some knitters comment that the chart had several errors that made me glad I checked first otherwise I would have been in trouble. Thankfully the author and publisher corrected the errors and redid the chart which is even better that I could print out the copy. To be honest I was ready to photocopy and enlarge the book page because the chart was kind of small. Now I have a 8 x 11 page copy of the correct chart so I'm preparing myself for it later today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment