Thursday, February 02, 2006

Better Late Than Never


It is definitely harder to travel with children but with some planning, it can be very enjoyable. Last year, my hubby got the itch to fullfil his dream of going to Japan. I was hesitant at first but I got excited. We spent months planning our itinerary and trying to learn Japanese. The key to our success was to relax and soak in whatever we could. We realized we wouldn't be able to see everything we wanted but that is our excuse to return to Japan. Our entire trip was 9 days with 5 days in Tokyo and 4 days in Kyoto. We got a great deal since we went in November and the weather was crisp and cool. My main concern was the airline flight to and from Japan and the time difference for the kids. It turns out the boys did great on the flight; Singapore Airlines was the best. The crew totally catered to my children, bringing snacks, juice and candy while the kids enjoyed watching their own movies on the screen in each seat. Tyler loved it; he watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over and over (he mastered the remote control). Another plus was that the flight was only 60% full so the kids were able to roam around and we could stretch out. Tokyo is a huge concrete jungle with skyscrapers and high rises although there are surprising gardens, parks and shrines hidden within the city. It can be intimidating to navigate but I was never scared or felt we were in a dangerous area. The Shinjuku area, where our hotel was, is a popular area where you can find everything you want. Food, bars, department stores and shops and it seems that everyone congregates there. Actually, every area in Tokyo seemed crowded and busy.





Kyoto is considered to be the "real" Japan. Although Kyoto is a large city, it is filled with shrines and beautiful gardens. We were fortunate to see the changing leaves with spectacular colors that draw big crowds. We felt we could spend weeks here and not have a boring moment. I wish I could be more specific but we went to so many places that I couldn't keep track! I still need to refer to my guidebooks so I hope to give more detailed account in the future.
So for now, just enjoy the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment