Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Knit update: July edition

Knitters are prepared. We have plenty of yarn to keep us busy probably way after we die. I am not a fast knitter. I prefer to knit with sock yarn mostly so that will extend my knitting process. Sometimes I switch it up and double the sock yarn to get worsted weight which is a bit faster for hats.

This project called for 3 strands of sock yarn so I was down to try it. I have lots of sock yarn leftovers and mini-skeins so I am always looking for projects to make me feel productive and get my yarn stash lower.  I laugh because yarn, in general doesn't weigh much so in the grand scheme probably didn't put much of a dent in my stash.

So the pattern I found is called Scrappy Birthday Cowl. It calls for 3 strands of sock yarn (which can be a little tangled) and lots of bobbles which is a nubbin or boobles (my term) of yarn so it'll just use up more yarn so I was game for this. 

The fun thing with using different strands of yarn, you can achieve some interesting looks depending on our choices. I decided to use a dark, almost black green yarn to be used thoughout the entire cowl and throw in other colors similar or contrasting because I wanted the bobbles to stand out a bit. Overall, the cowl has that dark tone with some pops of color.




This cowl is heavy, way heavier than I thought it would be. Definitely for colder weather than SoCal. I am thinking of gifting this to my SIL who lives in MD.

And here is another cowl but in a single strand of fingering weight which may be okay for California but only for those really cold spells. This cowl hugs the neck so we will see. Also it sits tall (about 14 inches) but can be scrunched down and my neck is not long & elegant enough for this cowl to work for me. This why there is no photo of me wearing it. It really is pretty though. I'll put it in the gift pile for now.





I have a couple more sock yarn projects waiting in the wings, a hat and another cowl. Seriously, I need to stop with the cowls. I do want to start another shawl. I volunteered for a test knit of a hat in worsted weight so I can get that done fairly fast. at the beginning of the year, I gave myself a goal of completing 25 knit projects and currently I am at 11. Hats are the easiest for me to get to my goal but I am trying to challenge myself with bigger projects.

I do want to start another 10-stitch blanket because I heard a little birdie say another baby is on the way. Not me...





No comments:

Post a Comment