Friday, March 11, 2016

Bone Broth

As I get older. I'm starting to appreciate my Chinese heritage. Some things are still strange to me (I guess it's the Westernization) but some are slowly taking hold.

Injury and pain have lead us to try cupping and acupuncture with varied results but we do try to keep an open mind. Last summer, my mom had a couple of hospitalizations leading to discovery of severe anemia. She had lost quite of bit of weight so that was another concern. That lead us to bone broth....I follow http://nomnompaleo.com/ as inspiration for food and I remember her talking about bone broth. So I decided to try making this for my mom. 

Turns out, my mom really enjoys the bone broth! We are fortunate to live in an area where Asian markets are abundant so every 2 weeks or so, I take my time to make a double batch of bone broth in my slow cookers. I was actually going to throw out my really big slow cooker but it now has a designated use. The easy part is making the soup, just throw beef bones and chicken feet in with lots of garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, apple cider vinegar, carrots and salt into the water and let it cook for 18 hours. You can add mushrooms and whatever you want. The most tedious part is taking out all the bones, etc and straining the broth. Lots of fat and grease is left with bits of bone marrow & chicken claws which is kind of yuck. I have a several step method to get the broth as clear as I can. 

After the broth is strained, I either vacuum pack or put into freezer containers in smaller portions so she can keep in the freezer until she needs more. The broth becomes all jello-like from the chicken feet. The good thing is my mom enjoys her broth and has been gaining weight.

Here are some pictures of beginning of making the broth...


IMG_6740.jpg


IMG_6741.jpg

Yeah, I try not to look at the chicken feet to long....reminds me of witch's hands! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment