Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekend Trip: Autumn

The kids had a 3 day weekend so I though it would be nice to see Mammoth Lakes in the fall since the kids have only seen it covered in snow during winter/spring.

I had good intentions but the Tuesday to Thursday right before our trip brought 18 + inches of snow to Mammoth. Okay. We still drove up Saturday along Hwy 395 and we stopped at Fossil Falls for the first time. My friend Kerin told me about this before so  we made a brief stop here.


Along Hwy 395


It's only about 1/2 mile off the highway and another 0.2 mile easy hike amongst the volcanic rocks to Fossil Falls. The word falls is misleading since there is no waterfall which dried up long time ago and the falls is crevice/ravine 40 feet below ground level. It is very cool to see and the dark volcanic rocks contrast nicely against the golden brush and mountains.

Fossil Falls set of photos.

My guys at Fossil Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment