Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mono Lake and South Tufas

Continuing our jam packed day, I left you with our time in Bodie but wait, there's more ! We passed Mono Lake on our way so that was the next stop. First, we grabbed lunch at Mono Cone, a little walk-up hamburger/hot dog joint with ice cream shakes/malts. It was a nice, satisfying and tasty lunch after Bodie.

But on the Mono Lake, we went back north a mile to the Mono Lake Intrepretive Center where there is a nice exhibit and great view of the lake with the 2 islands, Negit and Paoha islands in the middle of it. There are some nice trails that lead to the shore but I didn't do that although I think Tyler and Hector walked along some of it.

Now time to hop in the car and drive about 8-10 miles south to head for the South Tufas. Another short 1/2 mile walk to the shoreline to see the spectacular tufas. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have (it was a long day). I also have to remember to check my lens for dust since there are lots of dust specks on this batch of photos. They look okay but it's a tad distracting and I have to read up on Photoshop on how to remove them.

The kids seem to have the most fun chasing the alkali flies that rest on the ground near the shore and cause them to swarm away. :)

Anyway, here are some pics and enjoy!

Mono Lake Flickr set is here.



IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg


IMG_3745.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment