Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hat Frenzy

In anticipation of my buddy vacation to Victoria BC / Vancouver, I knew I would need some warm colorful hats to stand out amongst the millions of people that will be in the area during the Olympics.

1. Alpiner hat with earflaps which is modelled by Tyler. I used a fuzzy angora mohair wool yarn by Kureyon which the colors are gorgeous but the fuzzy fibers shed and caused several sneezing attacks. Topped off with crochet trim and big tassel on top. Still deciding on whether to add braids but I like how it looks.





2. Second alpiner hat. I used a great yarn Manos del Uruguay which is also very lovely with its subtle striping. This one has braids which brings me back to my childhood when I wore braids everyday.




3. Hat number three...the Fake Isle Hat. For the non-knitters, this is a play on the term Fair Isle which is the multi-colored patterns where you 'carry ' the non-working yarns along the back or inside so it creates a double thickness(in a sense). I used the fuzzy leftover yarn from hat #1 to create this hat. I only used 2 yarns but the color changes make it look more complex. Hmmm, I better move on because I hear silence and possible snoring on your end. But you can see the fuzziness of the yarn compared to the black yarn.





4. Another Fake Isle hat with 2 different yarns for a winter wonderland vibe; the black one is much more sophisticated hat for Lupe.

There is another alpiner hat that I made but no photos yet. Another colorway of the Kureyon yarn so use your imagination. I thought I was getting tired of hats because obviously I have plenty to choose from and give away to my fellow travel buddies. But I do need to make a more manly hat for Brandon maybe in Canadian colors. Anyway, I came across a cool funky hat that will stand out in a crowd that I want to wear so I'm knitting another hat. Hector was looking at it blandly (like he does most of my knitting) and surprised me when he said that he would wear it. Shocking, I know! My guy has survived my still ongoing obsession with knitting and never requests anything. I did make a pair of socks for him and that's it. So I'll wear this hat to Canada and then pass it on to him. But I have a feeling that more people are going to request this hat because it is soooo freakin funny and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment