Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lost in Translation

It's been a while since I posted any Japan-related topics so today I will show one of the many incorrect uses of the English language. It's not really the Japanese' fault since English has so many meanings and it's difficult for even those who have English as their first language. On a city tour of Tokyo we drove past a popular shopping area and I noticed a store front with the words Don't Forget Woman on it. Hmm, after a few minutes I understood what they meant to say. Unforgettable Woman. I can see how the translation would turn out this way but the next example is mind boggling. We were in Kyoto and stopped at a store for an ice cream. It had a counter to display the ice cream and treats and a sitting area for people to eat. There were also stairs near the store front and a sign at the foot of the stairs.

I am not sure if this is a direct translation of Japanese to English but it is funny. I think they mean to say you can't bring any purchased item from the first floor to the second floor to eat. We had to take a picture of this since I wouldn't possibly remember the exact wording.


This is Kyoto Tower just s few blocks from our hotel. We went up to the top at night but our pictures were awful. This is the third tower we went to the top which served as a test for Lupe (my sister-in-law) since she is afraid of heights. She was able to face her fear and enjoy the views. Actually she is more afraid of standing near the edge and looking down but she did great. Here is a picture of her at City View tower to document this occasion. Notice her death grip on that bar so she won't fall over the edge. The kids loved all the towers and the elevators are among the best I've ever been on. No lurching or bounces just a smooth fluid ride up to the top and back down with no stomach reactions. Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment