Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hiroshima day trip

Sorry for the brief hiccup in my posting. I started off so well and then life happened. Maybe I'll do another post on it but I'm not sure yet. If you really want to know, you ask H and get the whole story.

Anyway back to another day in Japan. My memory isn't totally clear on all the details but I'll do my best. Once again our JR passes come in handy as we travel to Hiroshima for the day. I think it was about a 2 hour shinkansen ride which is always enjoyable and hassle free. We learned that our passes allow us to use the shuttle in Hiroshima which saved us about $10 each and it was one of those hop on/hop off type buses. I can't say it was actually a bus, sort of a really narrow trolley bus with really high steps on and narrow seats. It was interesting. Here the English speaking people are harder to find but a map and an adventurous spirit comes in useful. The little map seems helpful at first but a lot of walking to find entrances to places adds to the walking total. Luckily the kids are good sports and it turned out to be another sunny/warm day. At least I didn't insist on long pants for the kids this day. :)

Our first stop was Hiroshima castle located in the middle of a river/lake (?) so finding a bridge and touring the grounds always tops the list.


DSC01315.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

I believe that this was the armory or military quarters.


DSC01326.jpg


DSC01327.jpg


DSC01330.jpg

Luckily we paid attention to the signs which was useful.


DSC01335.jpg

Hiroshima castle which is 5 stories. No elevator. No photography I believe since I don't have any photos inside. It was a really cool place. Kids can try on replica samurai armor and lift an actual samurai sword. Hector could have spent 3-4 hours in there but we tend to rush him.

By then, the kids were pretty hungry. We wandered out a different way and found a plaza with street vendors. I ordered a squid on a stick thinking Tyler may try it and I would end up eating it. Nope, he enjoyed it with gusto while Josh enjoyed a more traditional sausage on a stick.


DSC01339.jpg

DSC01341.jpg

We didn't know where to catch the shuttle or maybe it was on the other side of where we were so we decided to walk to the Peace memorial maybe a mile away.


DSC01342.jpg DSC01343.jpg


DSC01345.jpg


DSC01348.jpg

There is a lovely riverwalk area where people enjoyed the beautiful day.


DSC01355.jpg


DSC01358.jpg

DSC01361.jpg


DSC01359.jpg

On to the next stop...


DSC01366.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

DSC01382.jpg
The back side of this memorial.


DSC01385.jpg

In the sunken back portion.


DSC01386.jpg

DSC01387.jpg


DSC01390.jpg


DSC01392.jpg

Just a touching memorial and somewhere along the way, the kids and I found another memorial tucked away underground.


DSC01393.jpg

It was nice place to cool off as the day was getting hot.


DSC01395.jpg

We found the shuttle stop here and rode back to the station while getting a little tour of the city. This post was photo heavy so I'll post the rest of our day trip in another post. Our date night in Osaka!


No comments:

Post a Comment