Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Garter Squish blanket

Warning! This will be a long term project. I began this project December 5, 2015 and this is a super, mindless knit intended to use up my leftover sock yarn bits that I've had forever (it seems) and the sock yarn that has just lingered far too long in my yarn cupboard. I have some KP Palette fingering yarn that I chose way back when I picked the needles again and had no clue how to select the proper yarn. 

The original pattern calls for 2 strands of worsted weight to get a nice bulky weight yarn but I didn't really see a need for such a heavy blanket. The nice thing about blankets is that it is usually easily adjusted. Thus, I will be using 2 strands of fingering weight (which = worsted weight).


Gallon ziploc of sock yarn. 300 grams toward my #gartersquish #blanket

This is my starting point. I keep adding to the mix with entire skeins to blend with the little bobbles of leftovers. 

I'm intending to knit a lap/sofa type blanket approx. 3 x 5 feet. We shall see...

Beginnings of my Garter Squish blanket using sock yarn (doubled) and Chinese Waitress cast on. Very pretty cast on.


Here is the very beginning, as you can see I chose 2 different yarns with similar complimentary palettes. One is self striping and the other has long color shifts so it will have a pretty effect.


Color shift. #gartersquish #sockyarn

Then I begin adding another color when I run out. I chose some significantly brighter.


Muted earth tones to vibrant colors so far. What colors are next? #gartersquish

I'm sure some knitters/people in general will be horrified at the randomness of it all since I don't have a color scheme in mind. I rather like it. I was rummaging in my yarn stash and found the same self striping yarn that I used at the start so I can finish off with it for some balance. 


Garter squish blanket update. Was on a timeout but ready to pick it up again. Looks big but it's only 2 X 3 feet right now. I want a nice cozy lap blanket from my toes to my head so I have lots more to knit.

This was taken a few days ago. It measured 2 x 3 feet. The width is perfect to cover me when I sit on the sofa but I want it much longer...

My scraps in the plastic bag is dwindling down so I'm in the process of adding more. Also this blanket has encouraged me to knit some socks to acquire more leftovers. Win-win. This may be a major factor in completing my blanket since that may take some time. 


I'm going to need more yarn than this.

Hopefully I will have made significant progress when I report next month...

No comments:

Post a Comment