Monday, February 08, 2010

Sk8r Boy

My youngest son, Josh has HFA and he is pretty fearless which brings worry and pride. He does well in sports but lacks focus. Soccer and basketball are sports he enjoys but he doesn't seem to engage in the game. Josh just likes to run back in forth! :)
I got him inline skates for his last birthday and he really tried from the moment he put them on. Falling down didn't faze him at all plus he was padded from head to toe. Pretty soon he was skating around the park over and over. Then I got a chance to take the kids ice skating. Josh was all for it. After a brief period of unsteadiness, he got the hang of it and took off around the rink. For weeks, Joshua kept asking when he was going ice skating again. Then he wanted me to bring his inline skates to the park after school. I finally brought them after all the rains had passed and all the debris, twigs and branches got swept away. He happily skated alongside while Tyler rode his bike.
On Saturday, I took Tyler to the Kings game (9 wins in a row) and Hector took Josh ice skating at the Toyota Center in El Segundo which is a big ice facility where the Kings practice. Unfortunately Hector didn't have a camera with him but Josh had a great time. Apparently Joshua was talking to a little girl while skating and out of nowhere he spun around twice on one foot and kept skating. No falls. Hector said he thought that must have be a fluke but then Josh did his 2 spins again. Wow.
So as soon as basketball is over, I'm looking into getting Josh skating or hockey lessons. I may have found his "thing", he might not be totally focused with hockey but I know he loves skating.
Oh btw, he might have had some ideas about different skating sports because we have Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics on the Wii so both boys love figure skating ( yes) and speed skating. I can totally see Josh doing speed skating in real life since he loves to go fast. Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment