Thursday, October 01, 2009

Monster Bear

I've wanted to try knitting little stuffed animals out of my leftover yarn or whatever I had on hand for a long time. Yesterday I finally gathered up what I needed yarn-wise and started the Monster Bear pattern out of 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders book. Some 100% wool yarn, size 10 needles and soon the bear was complete. I think it took all of 1.5 to 2 hours to knit. Today I went to Michaels for the polyfill and some eyes. I spent about same amount of time to sew and stuff the bear. It didn't help that I had to redo the leg placement about 3 times otherwise the bear would be seriously deformed.

Here he is after being assembled. See, he is sausage-like with limbs. Not too bad left like this but wait, there's more!

I throw bear into a pillowcase, tie a knot and wash him in the hot water cycle of the washing machine with an old towel. Agitation along with the hot water causes the 100% wool to shrink or felt obscuring the stitches and shrinking it.

Once I have him felted to my liking, I fast forward to the spin cycle to get most of the water out and voila! My Monster Bear!


Isn't he cute? He is more egg shaped now but still adorable.


No comments:

Post a Comment