Friday, January 27, 2006

Flashback



I just got a call from my mom saying she has been in a car accident. My mom is fine but shaken up and scared. A truck had made a left turn in front of them, hitting an ambulance which then hit my mom's car. A hit and run accident. Some minor damage to the car but the main thing is that my mom is okay. Even the littlest accident can send the body into adrenaline mode.
I had a flashback to my car accident which happened in 1993. My car was a new, red Mitsubishi Eclipse that I had for a month. I was going to work and just entered the freeway. The lane was backed up due to the next exit so I pulled up to the last car and stopped. I am waiting for the cars to move then BAM! I was rear-ended and my first thought was,"Great, now I am going to be late for work." But the car just kept going forward and in slow motion. The hood of my crumpled up and I hit a car in front of me then another. I realized that I was still going forward past cars then over the shoulder and suddenly down an embankment. Dust, dirt and gravel filled the car and finally the car came to a stop near the bottom of the embankment. I closed my eyes when all the grit flew into the car to protect my eyes (I wear contact lenses). I remember smelling gasoline and began to yell for help. After that, everything was a blur. Firemen, police and ambulance arrived. I still kept my eyes closed because I didn't want to add having to tear out my contacts in pain so they kept asking every few minutes if I was awake. I'm not sure how much time passed but the firemen had to use the jaws of life to cut the top of the car off. I was told that an 18 wheeler tanker full of milk had plowed into the back of my car and propelled me a few hundred feet down the freeway with my car stuck in front hitting a few cars along the way before sliding down a 100 ft. embankment off the side of the freeway. Everyone told me I was very lucky to be alive. My injuries was a fractured pelvis, multiple bruises and cuts. I had to stay in the hospital for 10 days followed with 2 months of physical therapy. It was a really difficult time but it all worked out. I got a new car (my Eclipse was totalled) and eventually got a settlement from the 18 wheeler's insurance.
I try to remember that life is short and live my life to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment